What you should know about DIY Hair Extensions

Hair Extensions - the solution to great looking hair instantly.

Todays solution to instantly great looking hair without the need of coloring, perming or relaxing your own natural hair. If you are struggling with your hair while going through some type of hair crisis, or just looking for a fast hair solution or a new hairstyle, you'll find that hair extensions are the perfect solution.

You can have curly, wavy or straight hair without the need of chemical processing. Hair Extensions allow you to instantly alter your appearance without making permanent changes to your own hair. It's also a great way to give overworked damaged hair a chance to renew itself... and you'll love that new exciting look.

INTRODUCTION

So you've heard those horror stories about Hair Extensions and you fear that you could end up bald and a lot poorer when it's all over. Well that is possible, if you don't do some homework, however, having beautiful hair using Hair Extensions, is also possible without damaging your own hair and while allowing your own natural hair to grow longer and healthier in the process.

more...

There are various types of Hair Extensions on the market, however, for simplicity sake we will focus on just the two most popular Hair Extensions and their application methods:

Single Strands and Wefts
The Single Strands method involves taking a small amount (maybe 20-50 strands) of hair to create your hair extensions. Each small section of hair is applied to your own hair by either weaving it in, heat fusing, gluing, clamping with metal rods or using waxes and polymers to your own hair. All of these methods, with except for clamping which are self explanatory, involve coating your own hair with a chemical or foreign substance.

Hair Extensions usually last a month or more before they must be removed and completely re-done if desired. The most common problem with this method is removing the Hair Extensions out without damaging your own hair. For this we strongly recommend using our OptiSol Sovent of which is guaranteed to remove any type of tape/adhesive residue, or hot melt adhesive; and it's not harmful to human hair.

Commonly, technician's or other's who sell Hair Extensions, claim that this method of applying hair causes no damage to your own hair. However, knowledgeable and honest professionals doing hair extensions will tell you that damage to your own hair is possible when not properly done.

Bad Hair - Anything Synthetic
Synthetic Hair is basically plastic and does not look natural. Synthetic hair should not be used for Hair Extensions.

Good Hair, Bad Hair - What's The Difference?
It is obvious that all human hair is created equal, however, what is done to it can make it either better or decomposed. Human hair that has been bleached and died can reduce its quality when not properly done, however, various chemicals can enhance altered human hair look healthy and natural again.

With Asian and African hair the composition and textures vary compared to Caucasian hair and the above comments may not always apply. It is recommended to seek advice from a qualified technician regarding what is best for you. 

The quality of the hair used to create Hair Extensions will ultimately determine whether they will look natural and how long they will stay natural looking.

You may order 'quality weft or bulk human hair' for creating your Hair Extensions from the following web page

HAIR EXTENSIONS

What are hair extensions?
What makes human hair the best?
How are extensions applied?
First timers. Here's what you should do!
What color should I choose?
Will hair extensions work with curly hair?
Will hair extensions work with real thin hair?
How much hair do I need?
What is a Weft?
What's the difference between regular and micro thin weft?
Will extensions damage my hair?
Can I brush, curl and blow dry hair extensions?
How do I wash hair extensions?
Can I color or perm the extension hair?
What about coloring my own hair?
What types of products should I use?
Can I swim and go in the ocean?
Will anyone know I am wearing them?
How long will my hair last? 

Click 'more' for information relating to questions above.

more...

What are hair extensions?
Hair Extensions are simply hair that is secured to your own hair by means of fusion (strand by strand), weaving, braiding, bonding, seamless, clips and more. There are many variations to all of these techniques of which hairstylists call these by various names. When hair extensions first became popular they were commonly applied by professional hairstylist, but now many women are doing their own at home. Human hair extensions can be cut, curled and styled just as though it is your own hair.

What makes human hair the best?
As with all businesses and products, one can be better than another and sell better services or products. When it comes to Hair Extensions the single most important thing is to choosing quality hair. Only the best highest quality human hair should be used. This provide higher grade of hair extensions that will last longer, without tangling or drying, and look natural too. Everyone claims they sell the best hair available for hair extensions, however, it is recommended to do business with a company that has been selling quality hair for many years.

How are extensions applied?
There are several ways Hair Extensions may be applied, Fusion, Strand by Strand, or Pre-Tipped Hair.

These processes are done using small strand by strand sections that are secured to your own hair. You have the option of using heated adhesive sticks and glue gun made for hair extensions application. Hair can be bought ready cut, weft removed, and pre tipped with adhesive. All you need to apply them is a purging tool to warm the adhesive so you can secure the hair extensions to your own hair. 

Weaving
This process is done by simply creating corn rows or tracks around the head and very closely secured near the scalp to your own hair.  After the track has cooled you simply sew the hair extensions to the tracks. Your own hair lays over the tracks to hide where they have been secured and to provide you with a natural looking full head of hair.

Bonding
The easiest method of applying hair extensions is using bonding glue. You simply apply the glue onto the weft of the extension hair and then secure the hair extensions at the root of your own hair.

Clip ins
Clip ins are the easiest but not the most secure and long lasting way to enhance a hairstyle, however, all you need are Wig Combs and hair to create your own Clip-in Hair Extensions.

Mini-Links
Mini-Links are small circular brass cylinders that secure the hair extensions to your own hair and they do not require the use of glue, heat to apply and they will not damage your hair. You simply pull small prepared quantities of hair and your own hair through cylinder and squeeze it together to secure. To remove pinch the cylinder to open and remove hair extensions.

Seamless Tape on Hair Extensions
Seamless Tape is a hot new product. Seamless Tape are polyurethane weft flat strips that are already pre taped with a double sided tape. You simply pull the paper shielding off and apply them to the hair. They are very easily applied and can last 1-5 days; or they may be applied using adhesive so they will stay secured much longer. This is very popular with the movie stars because the hair lies flatter to closer to the head so no one knows you are wearing them. The girls love them!

First timers? Here's what you should do!
If you are a first timer and don't know weather to get your feet wet, well think about this: Wigs can cost you thousands a year to purchase and maintain, however, DIY Hair Extensions are a one time cost. All you need is some hair, clips, and time. We sell everything you need! All you need to do is decide to provide your time. It's not a matter of skills with hair extensions, you simply secure them to your own hair and cut and style the hair as desired. By purchasing the hair and doing your own hair extensions puts you are in charge of how you look and you can save a lot of money too.

What color should I choose?
Before you order your hair, you must decide what color(s) you want for the finished look. You can dye your own hair to match your hair extensions or use a different color to create highlights in your own hair. We sell 'hair color rings' with the most popular hair colors so you can purchase the exact color desired.

Will hair extensions work with curly hair?
Clip on hair extensions are available in straight and a slight wave, because they do not work very well with curly hair unless your own hair is straightened.

Will hair extensions work with real thin hair?
How well hair extensions work with thinning hair depending upon the severity of your thinning. You will need enough hair to lie over the top of the weft and clipping to. Backcombing the hair above the weft may hide the weft and clips. Backcombing and spraying the hair with hairspray where attached may help make the clips even more secure. You will need to experiment with this to know exactly what will provide you with your desired results.

How much hair do I need?
The amount of hair needed to do your own hair extensions will depend upon the hairstyle, your head size,  and how thick and long you want the hair to be when you finish. For this you may wish to consult with a professional technician for guidance regarding what she/he might recommend.

Seamless Hair
We recommend purchasing 1 or 2 (4 ounce) packages of weft human hair. Weft hair is sold by the ounce and is available in 4 ounce packages.

Pre tipped Hair
We recommend purchasing 1/4 pound to 1/2 pound of Pre tipped hair. Thicker hair and fuller longer styles usually require more hair than thinner shorter hair. Pre tipped hair is available by in 130 pieces = approximately 1/4 pound. 

What is a weft?
Weft is human hair that is sewn into a track that contains long single strands of hair. One 4 ounce package of weft hair contains one single length of track hair. The length of the tracks length will alter based upon the hair length. Wavy and curly hair may appear shorter than the actual hair length ordered, you may want to consider this when ordering hair.

What's the difference between regular and micro thin weft?
Regular weft 
Regular weft is one continuous weft track that can be cut into any desired length. Hand tied weft is slightly larger than machine sewn weft. Remi regular weft is a flat smaller weft. Tip: To eliminate hair shedding from edges after cutting the weft from a strip, add some bonding glue to ends.

Micro thin weft
Micro thin weft is pre cut to approximately 10 inch pieces and are sewn by hand to make the smallest weft possible for creating an invisible look.
Tip: Cutting Micro thin weft will cause it to unravel.

Will extensions damage my hair?
Hair Extensions should not damage your hair when properly applied, cared for and maintained. You must be careful brushing. If you tangle your hair, hold the hair where tangled while brushing, especially if your hair is fragile.

Can I brush, curl, blow dry and wash hair extensions?
Hair Extensions is human hair, just like your own hair and it must be maintained periodically, just like your own hair to keep it looking good. And yes, it may be curled and straightened, but keep in mind that the more you do with your own hair and Hair Extensions can cause damage. It is not recommended to wash your hair everyday. You will find that extensions hair are no different than your own hair and they will stay clean and curled for days.

Washing your hair and Hair Extensions should be done very carefully. We recommend not massaging your hair after applying shampoo. Simply add 50% water and shampoo together into a spray bottle and spray on the diluted mixture on your dampened hair and allow the shampoo to work for 5 to 10 minutes before thoroughly rinsing. In another spray bottle; add 50% water and conditioner, and spray mixture on to rinsed hair and allow mixture to work for 5 to 10 minutes. You can leave the diluted conditioner to remain in the hair. However, do not rub the hair to dry, simply press your towel against your hair to remove any moisture.

You may apply rollers to style hair as desired or let air dry. Using a wide tooth comb or brush while combing or styling hair is recommended. Please note hair will dry out sooner when using blow dryers and hot implements, however, this may damage your hair. Air drying is recommended!

How do I wash hair extensions?
Wash the hair in one direction. From top to bottom. Avoid washing hair upside down in the sink. Use shampoos and conditioners that are for dry hair and add the most moisture. Wash hair right after swimming. When brushing your hair, start from the bottom and work your way up while holding the top part to keep it from shedding or stretching.

Can I color or perm the extension hair?
As indicated previously, Hair Extensions are human hair and they may be treated exactly like your own hair, however, over doing it may damage your hair and the Hair Extensions. We recommend that you only wash and style your hair when really necessary.

Weft human hair comes processed and sterilized and you do not need to do anything additional to it unless you wish to change its color. Should yo decide to color your hair extensions it is recommended to use a semi permanent color or color conditioner and not peroxide.

What about coloring my own hair?
Coloring your own hair you may do yourself or you can have a professional do it for you. If doing it yourself, coloring the area of hair that has been left out of the extensions only is recommended.

What types of products should I use?
Moisture is very important when it comes to keeping human hair looking good. Use products for oily hair or strippers that take out chlorine or product build up may cause human hair to look dull and lifeless. We recommend using hair styling products that have zero or low alcohol content. Products for dry hair are the best. We recommend using only quality hair care products like our Brandywine Wig Care Products.

Can I swim and go in the ocean?
Enjoying swimming or relaxing in a hot tub is okay, however, keep your hair free from the water. Avoid getting hair in salt water as the salt can take all the moisture out of the hair and cause it to tangle. If you do get your hair wet, it is recommended to wash your hair to remove any chemicals that may damage your hair and hair extensions.

Will anyone know I am wearing them?
When Hair Extensions are applied properly nobody will be able to tell your wearing them. Choosing the right color and hairstyle is also very important. 

How long will my hair last?
Unlike your own hair, Hair Extensions are not alive and they must be maintained properly. But first you should purchase the best hair possible, use the right hair care products so the extensions will last longer. All hair extensions will tangle and shed, especially when sleeping, therefore, wearing a sleeping cap over your hair is recommended.

Each person is different and depending on climate, water, products used, hair care, brushing, blow dryers and hot irons used, how long extensions are applied, swimming, how often washed, etc.; no one can give an exact number of days your hair extensions will last.

We hope this information is helpful!

Shopping Cart
You have no items in your shopping cart.