How to properly shampoo a wig/hairpiece to avoid damage.

Q&A's: Maintaining Lace Wigs and Hair Systems

What is the best way to wash my Hairpiece/Lace Front Wig?

• Do not wash your unit in a sink or bowl.
    To prevent "wash through", where some hairs make their way to the bottom side of the unit use the following steps.
  • T-pin your Hairpiece or Lace Front Wig to a waterproof Wig Block
  • Dampen the hair under a water facet.
    (Using a 50/50 percent shampoo and water mixture in a spray bottle.)
  • Spray the mixture onto the unit and let is remain for up to 15 minutes.
  • Rinse the mixture from the unit.
    (Using a 50/50 percent conditioner and water mixture in a spray bottle.)
  • Spray the mixture onto the unit, but do not rinse out.
  • Grasp the head block by the neck and snap (like casing a fishing rod) until all of the hair is sticking straight away from the unit.
  • Comb out and style the hair as desired.

• Spray adhesive remover or equivalent oil based solvent onto the sticky lace and then wait as long as it take to break down the residue. Depending on which type of adhesive it is, this could take 20 seconds to 20 minutes.
  • Next, carefully wipe away the sticky residue with a lint free rag.

If your Adhesive Solvent leaves an oily film.

• Using solvent or alcohol will remove the residue, but it may then leave an film.
  • To remove the film you simply rinse or wash the unit. This is important because the new adhesive will not stick to an oily adhesive remover that leaves a residue.

I have glue in my hair.

• Spray some Adhesive Remover or equivalent oil based solvent where needed.
  • Wait a few minutes.
  • Using a fine tooth comb; gently comb and wipe away residue.

How can I avoid getting can I avoid getting adhesive in my wig/hairpiece?

• Glue should only be applied where a tape tab area is available on the unit.
  • If your wig is a French Lace Wig or has a French Lace Front you should apply some liquid plastic to seal up the holes. EasyTAB Compound works best for this.

How else can I remove adhesive residue from the lace material?

• Spray some Adhesive Remover or equivalent oil based solvent where needed. Wait a few minutes.
  • Push the bottom of the lace firmly against a mirror and slide the unit down the glass.
  • The glue gets pulled out from the lace and deposits itself on the glass.

How often should I remove my unit for cleaning?

• Everyone has a different scalp oil secretion level.
  • You must judge for yourself how often cleaning your unit is necessary.
  • But it should be cleaned at least once a week to prevent odor.

How do I shampoo my unit while using extended wear bonding methods?

Use the Head Block method :

• While wearing your unit.
  • Avoid very warm or hot water.
  • Do not vigorously lather the hair using your fingers. (This causes hair tangling.)
    Do not towel dry: 
  • Shake your head excess water and then blot hair dry very gently using a dry towel. Do not rub the hair with a towel. (This avoids hair tangling.)

TIP:   Do not comb wet hair. (This causes hair damage.)

Is it safe to use a hair dryer to style my Hairpiece/Lace Front Wig?

• Heat destroys to synthetic hair, and even human hair replacements should not be dried using a hot blow drying.
  • It is best to let the hair dry while not wearing the Hairpiece or Lace Front Wig. If you washed it in place while wearing, blot with a towel and let it dry naturally without using a blow dryer. If you do use a blow dryer, use only the cool or warm setting.

What kind of shampoo and conditioner should I use to wash my Hairpiece or Lace Front Wig?

• There are dozens of shampoos and conditions available, however, using a specially formulated Hairpiece or wig shampoo and conditioner works best.
  • If the hair appears to be dull and tacky on your Hairpiece or Lace Front Wig, as a result of fading and hair spray build-up, using carpet shampoo to clean your Hairpiece or Lace Front Wig works very well.
  • Follow the instructions printed on the carpet shampoo bottle for best results.

Does your Adhesive Remover leaves an oily film?

• Alcohol will remove the residue, but it may then leave an oily film.
  • To remove the oily film you simply rinse or wash the unit.
  • This is important because the new adhesive will not stick to the oil based adhesive removers.

Do you have glue in your hair?

• Spray some OptiSol Adhesive Solvent or an equivalent solvent where needed.
  • Wait a few minutes.
  • Using a fine tooth comb; gently comb and wipe away residue.

How can I avoid getting the residue in to my unit?

• Glue should only be applied where a tape tab area is available on the unit.
  • your wig is a French Lace Wig or has a French Lace Front you should apply some liquid plastic to seal up the holes.
    EasyTAB Compound works best for this.

How else can I remove adhesive residue from the lace material?

• Spray some Adhesive Remover or equivalent oil based solvent where needed. Wait a few minutes.
  • Push the bottom of the lace firmly against a mirror and slide the unit down the glass. The glue gets pulled out from the lace and deposits itself on the glass.

How often should I remove my unit for cleaning?

• Everyone has a different scalp oil secretion level. You must judge for yourself how often cleaning your unit is necessary.
  • But it should be cleaned at least once a week to prevent odor.

How do I shampoo my unit while using extended wear bonding methods?

Use the Wig Block method above:

• While wearing your unit.
  • Avoid very warm or hot water.
  • Do not vigorously lather the hair using your fingers. (This causes hair tangling.)

Do not towel dry: 
  • Shake your head excess water and then blot hair dry very gently using a dry towel. Do not rub the hair with a towel. (This avoids hair tangling.)

Tip:   Do not comb wet hair. (This causes hair damage.)

Is it safe to use a hair dryer to style my Hairpiece/Lace Front Wig?

• Heat destroys to synthetic hair, and even human hair replacements should not be dried using a hot blow drying.
  • It is best to let the hair dry while not wearing the Hairpiece or Lace Front Wig. If you washed it in place while wearing, blot with a towel and let it dry naturally without using a blow dryer. If you do use a blow dryer, use only the cool or warm setting.

What kind of shampoo and conditioner should I use to wash my Hairpiece or Lace Front Wig?

• There are dozens of shampoos and conditions available, however, using a specially formulated Hairpiece or wig shampoo and conditioner works best.
  • If the hair appears to be dull and tacky on your Hairpiece or Lace Front Wig, as a result of fading and hair spray build-up, using carpet shampoo to clean your Hairpiece or Lace Front Wig works very well.
  • Follow the instructions printed on the carpet shampoo bottle for best results.

We hope this information is useful!

I removed my Hairpiece/Lace Front Wig and there is sticky residue in the lace and on the polyurethane tape tab areas, what's the best way to remove it?
Shopping Cart
You have no items in your shopping cart.